Friday, April 4, 2008

Fight the Whoville Patriarchy

I stole this from Amber's blog, but I have to say that my experience of the film adaptation of Horton Hears a Who was quite similar to that of Peter Sagal (who is close to divine, anyway). Watching the movie with my two nieces, I noted that the weird, icky gender dichotomy in the film was so explicit that somewhere, anywhere, there must be parody. I'm 95% certain it wasn't there. That I was even looking so hard in a children's film strikes me as troubling.

6 comments:

Amber Rhea said...

Love your new blog (and that you linked to me!) but I must beg of you... PLEASE stop changing the color of your text by wrapping it in span tags (or using Blogger's interface)... just, whichever way you're doing it, please stop, because when your posts come through in my RSS reader it's practically white-on-white and it makes my eyes bleed.

Kevin said...

Holy crap. That's completely in some other language. I'll try to stop doing something or other, but I really don't know what you're talking about. Sorry! Technologically challenged over here.

Anonymous said...

This will help.

http://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=rEhuBvfm-1I

Anonymous said...

Kevin, would you prefer that gender norms didn't exist? That would be quite queer-postmodernist. What would your ideal Whoville look like?

Kevin said...

Hey Dana! Oddly enough, as I usually do tend toward the postmodernist, I think my response to this is more second-wave. My problem isn't that Whoville is gendered, it's that a single boy is more valued than a whole host of girls. Gender norms aren't necessarily an issue for me, in fact I think they sometimes can be activated in empowering ways, except when they explicitly devalue women (or men).

Amber Rhea said...

My problem isn't that Whoville is gendered, it's that a single boy is more valued than a whole host of girls.

Exxxxxactly. That gets a big fat FAIL stamp.